The Institute’s scientific relations
The Institute maintains strong scientific relations with other geological organizations in the Russian Federation and in other countries, including: Australia, Mongolia, the United Kingdom, Germany, Canada, China, South Korea, United States of America, Vietnam, India, Mexico, and Japan.
The Far East Geological Institute is celebrated for its participation in many cooperative projects including undertakings sponsored by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFFI), the International Association for the promotion of cooperation with scientists from the New Independent States (NIS) of the former Soviet Union (INTAS), as well as UNESCO. Recent joint projects include deep-water oceanic drilling, mineral resource surveys, metallogenesis studies, and tectonics research in North-East Asia.
The Far East Geological Institute is an integral component of the Russian Academy of Sciences and is committed to achieving the goals of the Academy.
Dr. Andrei V. Grebennikov, Head of Department
Valentina A. Piskunova, Senior Interpreter
Inessa G. Strelchenko, Leading Interpreter
The International Department is an independent unit of the Institute. It operates under the immediate supervision of the Director. The International Department is instrumental in the intense development of Far East Geological Institute (FEGI) co-operation with foreign scientific organizations that results in an increasing number of international agreements signed by the Institute.
Moreover, every year FEGI scientists expand their contacts with colleagues from other countries; foreign scientists now visit the Institute more often, and more of our experts travel abroad.
The department was founded by Lidia I. Kovbas who had worked in the Institute for twenty years. Thanks to her professional skills and personal charm, the Institute managed to gain international standing and has become a respected scientific organization in the Russian Far East. Following the untimely passing of L.I. Kovbas, V.P. Nechaev and S.V. Vysotsky consolidated the department’s position and significantly extended its field of interest.
The International Department co-ordinates the international activities of FEGI scientists, including:
- systematizing information concerning the international activities of FEGI;
- organizing and conducting international meetings, conferences, and workshops;
- coordinating the preparation of reports about the Institute's international activities;
- consulting employees in compiling, registering and realizing international agreements;
- searching for international projects of interest to FEGI researchers and identifying international sources of funding for scientific projects.
The International Department also performs the following operations:
- represents FEGI interests in certain Russian governmental bodies, including the Far Eastern Customs Headquarters, and the Regional Branch of Foreign Ministry; in addition to various international organizations;
- provides assistance with the translation of various kinds of print material: government documents, patent descriptions, references, international correspondence, as well as materials from conferences, meetings, and workshops;
- prepares annotations and summaries of foreign scientific publications;
- prepares visa documents to make possible travel to Russia for invited foreign experts, and prepares documents to facilitate foreign travel by FEGI scientists.
The staff of the International Department is always ready to step forward with help and assistance.